Managing your Cholesterol
October 17th, 2019
Best foods to lower cholesterol
- Soya is a fantastic option, as it is low in fat and packed with protein, vitamins and minerals – so soya yogurts, milk and meat alternatives
- Oats and Barley – are rich in a type of fibre called beta glucan – which can help you to lower your cholesterol.
- All nuts and seeds are rich in protein, vitamin E, magnesium and potassium and contain natural plant sterols and other plant nutrients which help keep your body healthy and stave off disease.
- Oily Fish – like mackerel.
- Veg oils and spreads – such as rapeseed or vegetable oil, sunflower, olive and corn and walnut oils.
Best exercise to lower cholesterol
Any exercise really helps to maintain a healthier lifestyle and reducing cholesterol levels. Exercise helps to:
- Lower your blood pressure.
- Raises your HDL cholesterol levels – the good cholesterol which removes fat from your arteries
- Lowers your LDL cholesterol levels – the kind that gets laid down in your arteries
- Helps to lose fat from around your middle, which is important for heart health
- Prevents getting diabetes and other health related conditions.
- It depends on your general fitness level, but anything from a brisk walk, dancing to a sprint or a spin class can help.
- Doing 150 minutes of moderate (breaking into a sweat) aerobic activity every week can improve your cholesterol levels.
- Lifestyle options, like taking the stairs instead of the lift and walking instead of driving can all help.
Best supplements to lower cholesterol
- Eating the correct foods and exercising for the recommended time per week, should help lower and manage your cholesterol without taking any supplements. Your GP may prescribe statins if you have been diagnosed with heart or a cardiovascular disease.
- Products like Benecol (yogurt drinks) contain plant stanols which help to reduce cholesterol, combined with a healthy lifestyle.
How to tell if you have high cholesterol
- You normally find out if you have high cholesterol via a blood test
- You don’t usually have visible symptoms.
Simple, convenient and free. Download now.